February Nature Notes
* February is National Birdfeeding Month!
* Feb.14- 17 is the Great Backyard Bird Count. Join in at HERE
* Feb. 9: Full Moon * Feb. 23: New Moon
* Cardinals, Titmice, House Finches, Chickadees, and Mourning Doves begin singing.
* Great Horned Owls are nesting now.
* Barred Owls begin calling.
* Red-winged Blackbirds and Grackles return north (mid-late Feb).
* Killdeer and Eastern Meadowlarks return late February.
* Large flocks of American Robins are feeding from fruit-bearing plants, including sumacs, hollies, dogwoods, crab apples, mountain ash, and more.
* Possible ducks on the lake include Buffleheads, Common Goldeneyes, and Redheads.
* Winter visitors (Red-breasted Nuthatches, Pine Siskins, Redpolls, and more) may show up at feeders.
* Snow Drops are now in bloom.
* Beavers are mating.
* Ruby-throated Hummingbirds make landfall along the southern US coast late February or early March. They will make their way north of the next several months, reaching our area about May 1st.